Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Here today! Gone tomorrow!

I haven't made anything new lately. We've been eating some leftovers and my mom made supper for the family last night. My brother's birthday was yesterday and mine is coming up so most years we have our birthday bashes together. My mom made stuffed chicken breasts and thighs which were DELICIOUS and then my brother go to pick the cake since it was his actual birthday. I didn't mind because my brother ALWAYS wants Chocolate Chip Cake. I don't have the actual recipe (note to self: get that from mom) but I know it involves a yellow cake mix and chopped baking chocolate. It really is delicious! The food and the company of family were both a great treat!

Since I don't have a recipe from our birthday bash for you, there is a recipe I recently made before beginning this blog that I'd LOVE to share. A couple of weeks ago I made an Impossibly Easy Taco Pie and it was delicious! My husband works 2nd shift in the food business and comes home late. Some nights he grabs a little to eat at home for dinner late at night, others he doesn't. Same goes for lunch. Sometimes he grabs a bite before work at home, and other days he waits and grabs something off the line before clocking in. Well, the night I made the Taco Pie, my son and I ate about a third of it between the two of us (he had 2 helpings). By the time I came home the next day, my husband had eaten part of it for dinner the night before and the other part for lunch that day. And to think, I was planning on eating some leftovers for dinner that night. Boy was I mistaken. So, I know this was a winner! I hope you enjoy it with your family too. (You may want to make a couple!)

Impossibly Easy Taco Pie
Serves 6 (Questionable!!)
From Betty Crocker's Casserole & One-Dish Meals
Prep Time: 15 min      Start to Finish: 50 min

1 pound ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 c)
1 (1 oz) pkg taco seasoning mix
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
1/2 c Original Bisquick mix
1 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack-Colby cheese blend (2 oz - But I used more!!)
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 c)
1 1/2 c shredded lettuce
2 medium green onions, sliced, if desired

1. Heat oven to 400F. Spray a 9" glass pie plate with cooking spray.
2. In 10" skillet, cook ground turkey and onion over med-high heat 5 to 7 min, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in taco seasoning mix. Spread in pie plate. Top evenly with chilies.
3. In medium bowl, wtir Bisquick mix, milk and eggs with wire whisk or fork until blended. Pour over turkey mixture.
4. Bake 25 min. Top with cheese and tomato. Bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5. minutes before serving. Sprinkle with lettuce and green onions (if desired).

A couple of personal notes.... I used more cheese than called for. (We can't get enough cheese in our house!) Also, my tomatoes had spoiled so I spread salsa on top before adding the cheese! I'm not sure which would be better but my men don't like raw tomato anyway, so it probably was for the best in our household. I didn't use green onions but I served it with sour cream on the side to dip each bite into.

1 comment:

  1. Yo Lady!!! Where is that kick butt recipe with rice and mushrooms?? You have made it for me a couple of times and you know that we love, love, love mushrooms.
    Aunt B

    ReplyDelete